"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pain is temporary

I snapped this photo in the gym last night.

Of course, those words were especially poignant after I got my head stepped on during kickboxing.

(Do these things happen to only me?)

A few weeks ago, a friend commented that she was having trouble getting started on her healthy living journey, and she asked if I had any advice for her.

In a quick comment, I basically told her to just do it and fight through the pain, but I’d like to expand on that a little here.

I’ve been doing this only nine weeks, so I’m certainly no expert. But I do also have a lifetime of trials and errors when it comes to living well.

Here’s what I’ve learned so far about working out:

1. There will never be a perfect time to start. I have been the queen of procrastination when it comes to starting a workout routine. I can always find an excuse to postpone it. (Well, there is a party in two weeks, and I’m sure I’ll wanna eat then. And well, there is Christmas in a few months. No need starting something until after that …) One day you have to just realize there can be no more excuses.

2. Just getting there is about 95% of the battle. Whether that is to the gym, to your treadmill, in front of your TV for a fitness video or into your driveway for a walk around the neighborhood.

3. It will suck, especially in the beginning. When I started this journey March 1, my only workout routine was 1 mile each morning on the treadmill before work. I could barely walk afterward. That is no exaggeration.

4. It will get better. Somewhere around the fourth week, I realized that the shooting pains in my calves and shins had disappeared, and the pain and swelling in my knees were gone.

5. You have to expend energy to get energy. When you are a slug, the last thing you want is to work out. You just can’t find the energy. But I promise you you’ll start to feel better with every workout. It will create the energy you’re lacking.

6. You’ll never regret you did it. I promise … PROMISE … that if you keep all these tips in mind and just get started, you’ll be glad you did. You will never stand there after a workout and think, “Man, I wish I hadn’t done that.”

Just give it a try and tell me how it’s going.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment