"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just push through

My morning walks of 2.5 miles take me about 41 minutes right now.

Forty-one minutes seems a little daunting, especially before work, so I try to think of it in terms of songs instead.

I figure 41 minutes is anywhere from 10-12 songs, so when I’m on the treadmill, I look at my time left and think of how many songs that will be.

Twenty minutes left? About five songs. Five songs is nothing. I can do it.

That’s basically how I power through every single day.

Silly? Maybe. But it works.

Here are some “motivational mantras” from “Fitness” magazine readers that I thought were pretty good:

“The more I push when I’m at the gym, the less I suck in when I’m in my skinny jeans.”

“I am my own superhero.”

“When running up hills, I repeat over and over, ‘Earn the downhill’ … and hope and pray there is a downhill on the other side.”

“No one ever said, ‘I wish I hadn’t gone to the gym today.’”

“On the last push on a run or Spinning interval, I repeat to myself, ‘You can do anything for 30 seconds.’”

What helps you push through?

No comments:

Post a Comment