"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making a mountain out of a plateau?

After eight straight weeks of consistent weight loss, I’ve hit a bit of a rut.

One pound in the past two weeks.

Oh, I know. Twenty-six pounds in 10 weeks is nothing to sneeze at. And yes, I’m trying really hard to take a breather and pat myself on the back for my accomplishments thus far.

But I have so, so far to go.

So, I’m gonna work hard to push through this so-called plateau.

Just Google “hitting a plateau,” and a wealth of information and opinions pops up.

The most common sense thing I’ve read is that your body is pretty smart. It starts to adjust to your new eating habits and exercise routines, so after a while, you have to shake things up. Trick it.

That’s why I’m adding an extra half-mile a day to my walks and trying to crack down on this water thing.

Eating less, moving more and drinking water are all among the suggestions for breaking through a weight loss plateau.

Let me get back to that “smart body” thing. Did you know that you can actually hinder your weight loss efforts by eating too little?

Your body is so intelligent (even if your brain isn’t, ha!) that it starts to freak out a little when it’s constantly hungry.

It thinks you are starving, and it does everything it can to hold onto your weight. It goes into survival mode.

So eat, dang it!

OK, back to plateaus. I was reading this blog on the Biggest Loser site, and it says a good way to help you stay positive when the scale isn’t moving downward is to take measurements instead.

The writer also reminds us to be patient, saying we didn’t gain all this weight overnight, so we’re not gonna lose it overnight.

“And you won’t likely wake up with shredded abs, either,” she says.

Shredded abs? I’m not greedy.

At this point, I just want proof mine really exist.

2 comments:

  1. Misty did you say we have to move more to lose weight? Damn it this ain't eva gonna work. Hey do couch aerobics count?
    Gower who would had thought that you could have such a powerful and positive influence over the masses. Just think about it. One day you was teaching us about tea baggin now you are taking us on a delightful journey to a healthier way of life. You inspire me......
    Thanks Jiquanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty: "The most common sense thing I’ve read is that your body is pretty smart. It starts to adjust to your new eating habits and exercise routines, so after a while, you have to shake things up. Trick it." I believe that is what they call Body Confusion in the P90X workout routine.

    ReplyDelete