"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gripes and faux-tatoes

OK, universe. Enough already!

If one more thing breaks around here, I’ll scream.

In the past three days, we’ve lost an air conditioner, a sump pump and my cell phone.

They’ve all since been replaced/repaired, but I’m starting to wonder if I have a black cloud following me.

I don’t know if it’s safe to be around me.

Heck, I don’t know if it’s even safe to read this blog!

OK, OK. Let’s talk about something yummy.

Potato salad makes me happy. Really.

My grandma makes the best potato salad in the world, and I wouldn’t even want to mess with that recipe. Sacred ground.

But her cooking is a special occasion, since I get it only a couple of times a year. In the meantime, I think I’m gonna try this faux potato salad from Hungry Girl.

I loved mashed cauliflower, so I’m thinking the cauliflower instead of potatoes might actually be pretty good. I’ll report back, but for now … enjoy!

HG’s I Can’t Believe It’s Not Potato Salad

1 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped
6 hard-boiled egg whites, chilled and chopped
1/2 envelope ranch dressing/dip mix
1 1/2 cups fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
3 tbsp. Hellmann's/Best Foods Dijonnaise
2 tbsp. fat-free non-dairy liquid creamer (like the one by Coffee-mate)
1 cup diced red onion
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup chopped chives
3 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp. chopped dill
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
Optional garnish: paprika

Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl, and pour 1/3 cup water over it. Cover and microwave for 6 - 8 minutes (until cauliflower is soft). Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the ranch mix, mayo, sour cream, Dijonnaise and salt. Set aside. Once cool enough to handle, drain any excess water from the cooked cauliflower. Lightly mash just 2 cups of the cauliflower, and then place in a blender. Add creamer and puree or pulse until blended. (Don't worry if it isn't completely smooth.) Pour mayo mixture into the blender and mix until blended and creamy. Chop the rest of the cauliflower into small half-inch pieces. Place these cauliflower pieces in a large bowl, and add the onion, celery and vinegar. Toss and let sit for 5 minutes. Pour the blender mixture over the vegetables and mix well. Add the chopped egg whites, chives, dill and parsley, and fold them in. Chill for several hours. If you like, sprinkle with paprika just before serving. P.S. This stuff tastes EVEN BETTER the day after it's prepared! MAKES 10 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 2/3 cup (1/10th of recipe)
Calories: 89
Fat: 1.25g
Sodium: 710mg
Carbs: 16.5g
Fiber: 2.5g
Sugars: 7g
Protein: 4.5g

POINTS® value 1*

No comments:

Post a Comment