"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, March 25, 2010

What a crock!

Thursday mornings are my toughest.

Wednesday night Zumba isn’t over until 9 p.m., so by the time I get home and actually ready for bed, it’s pretty late.

Waking up the next morning to drag myself to the treadmill is a challenge, but I somehow managed to do it (after 3 hits to the snooze button).

I guess if this were easy, we’d all be professional athletes who look like supermodels, right?

Ah, well. Let’s eat!

This photo and recipe came overnight courtesy of Hungry Girl.

If you haven’t yet, do yourself a favor and check out the site I linked above and join the mailing list.

You’ll get lots of good recipes, tips and more.

I recently purchased a Hungry Girl cookbook and will share recipes from it here, too, as I try them.

I haven’t tried this one, but it sounds delicious. And it already gets bonus points from me just because it’s cooked in a crock pot. I love anything that I can fix that will be ready when I get home from work.

If you try it, let me know how you like it. Also, please send me your favorite healthy recipes so I can share them here.

Enjoy!

Outside-In Turkey Tamale Pie

PER SERVING (1 cup): 230 calories, 7.5g fat, 481mg sodium, 21g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 19g protein -- POINTS® value 5*


Get ready for an amazingly comforting, scoopable, Mexican-inspired dish, because HERE... IT... IS!!! Just a warning: This stuff is hauntingly delicious!


Ingredients:
1 1/4 lbs. raw lean ground turkey
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
One 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with chiles
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cup canned sweet corn, drained
1/2 cup canned kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup sliced black olives, drained
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
Optional toppings: fat-free shredded cheddar cheese, fat-free sour cream

Directions:
Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add turkey and spread it around to break it up a bit. Cook and crumble until meat is brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and add turkey to the crock pot.

In a bowl, combine cornmeal with broth and whisk thoroughly. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Add cornmeal mixture to the crock pot along with all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly.


Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.


Serve and, if you like, top each serving with cheese and/or sour cream. Mmmmmm!!!


MAKES 7 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment