"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Be choosy

Today I’m thinking a lot about choices.

Isn’t that what weight loss – or even life – really boils down to?

Something that has stuck in my mind was a conversation my husband had a few months ago with a co-worker.

They were talking about the workout program P90X, and my husband said, “I’m going to try to start again tomorrow.”

“Try? There’s no try,” the co-worker replied. “You either do it or you don’t.”

I know what he meant all too well.

I think that’s why quitting smoking was easier for me than losing weight: You either smoke or you don’t. That’s really the only choice there is with that.

Oh, I’m not saying it was easy. I had smoked a pack-and-a-half a day for about 13 years.

So when I quit, I cried almost nonstop for the first two weeks, and it was at least a year before I got to where I didn’t think about a cigarette every day.

But you either smoke or you don’t. It’s that simple.

Living healthy is more complicated.

The working out, while not pleasurable or pain-free for me yet, is a do-or-don’t choice. Luckily I’ve been choosing to “do” consistently. (I got in 30 minutes for 1.6 miles this morning on the treadmill.)

Eating the right things is harder. You can’t choose to eat or not eat. (Well, unless you wanna die.)

Each and every time you eat, you must decide what you are putting in your mouth. And sometimes – many times – the healthiest choice isn’t the most delicious.

But I’m trying. I’m succeeding. One day at a time.

Yesterday at work, there was birthday cake. I chose not to eat it.

(To my co-workers: I promise I’ll have a piece on my birthday in a few weeks. I’m not a weirdo; I’m just not sure I can stop at a sensible portion quite yet.)

Last night, I picked up my son, and we went for a date at McDonald’s. I chose to order him apples as his Happy Meal side, and milk instead of a sugary soft drink.

And for me, I chose two Grilled Chicken Snack Wraps with no dressing.

I’m not saying I’ll always make the right choices, but I sure am trying.

I want a long life full of more dates with my cute boy at McDonald’s.

(Sunday is my day off from exercising and blogging. Check back Monday to see if I’m doing a happy dance or if I’ve thrown my scales out the window after my second weigh-in.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm soo proud of you Misty!!! You inspire me! I'm trying to lose 10 pounds and I can't seem to get anywhere because I snack while studying. But I'll keep checking here for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!!!!! Oh, and I love the girls purse in the background at McDonalds...... just a side note there.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to all of this so much. I quit smoking in college and even though it was hard, living healthy every day is much harder. I am an official blog fan now.

    ReplyDelete