"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Inedible rewards

Let’s talk about rewards.

I decided back when I started this journey that I would reward myself for every 10 pounds I lose.

That’s a new concept for me for a couple of reasons.

First off, I don’t really buy myself that much new stuff. Anyone who knows me well knows that most of my clothes, my son’s clothes, etc., come from Goodwill. It’s my favorite store.

Second, I seriously am used to rewarding myself with food.

That’s a tradition that goes way back.

I’ve battled my weight my whole life. When I was a kid, I remember my mom dragging me to a few aerobics classes.

There, the older women told me, “Kid, get the weight off now. It’s so much harder when you’re older.”

I wish I had listened.

During that time, Mom and I also went to a weight-loss program that was then called Formu-3. I’m sure it’s not called that today, but it’s probably along the lines of L.A. Weightloss, etc.

They advised us on our diet, gave us the option of their god-awful freeze-dried soups , etc., and weighed us every week or two.

Every single time Mom and I lost weight at the weigh-in, we’d go hit the Sizzler buffet afterward to celebrate.

Yay! We lost weight! Let’s gain it back in one meal!

So, this time, I’m trying to reward myself in a different way. I am going to give myself things I normally wouldn’t.

This week, I bought some tanning sessions.

Say what you will about tanning, but, to quote a dear friend, I am as white as a fish’s underbelly.

Tanning makes me feel better.

And isn’t that the point of rewards?

Some other rewards I’m considering: pedicure, facial, massage, nice makeup, new walking shoes and new workout clothes.

What else can you think of?

No comments:

Post a Comment