"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oh, I’m shakin’ it

Hey, look who’s eating the black bean brownies!

That’s right. He LOVES them.

I won’t tell him what’s in ‘em if you don’t.

So guess what I started last night: Zumba!

Aren’t you glad I posted a picture of my cutie eating a brownie instead of my fat rump sweating to Salsa music?

Trust me. It’s better this way. There was nothing pretty about it.

But, man, was it fun!

What is Zumba, you ask? Here’s the description on the Web site of the gym I joined (again):

“The Zumba® program fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program that will blow you away. Our goal is simple: We want you to want to work out, to love working out, to get hooked. Zumba® Fanatics achieve long-term benefits while experiencing an absolute blast in one exciting hour of calorie-burning, body-energizing, awe-inspiring movements meant to engage and captivate for life!”

I’m sure my movements were awe-inspiring, but probably not for the right reasons.

But hey, I took a big step last night. I exercised in public. And all in all, it didn’t suck too much.

There were all shapes and sizes in the class last night, which put me at ease immediately. Many people knew how to laugh at themselves. We’re kindred spirits.

One thing I realized is I don’t have a lot of decent workout clothes suitable for public. But my McLean County Cougars T-shirt (shout out, Cougars!) and sweat pants got me by.

Everyone was welcoming and happy to spin me in the right direction when they saw me about to bump into them.

So, I’m kicking it up a notch and adding some fitness classes to my routine. I’m still gonna get up daily and walk the treadmill (1.7 miles this morning!), but I think this will help me blast even more calories.

And heck, it might just make me a better dancer.

I can’t wait to try out my “awe-inspiring movements” on a dance floor near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment