"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I’ve got a lot to do

So, let’s talk about last night.

I rushed to pick up my son after work because the weather was so beautiful that – get this! – I actually wanted to take him for a walk outside.

I got him home, fed him and then strapped him into his stroller, and away we went.

I was amazed at how content he was, just looking around the neighborhood as we strolled past. Everything is so new to him.

It got me thinking about all the new things I still want to experience.

A few years ago, I started my “Bucket List.” I know it was a few years ago because it was in an old version of Word on my computer, and it is titled, “Things to Do Before I Die.”

“Bucket List” wasn’t a common term yet.

Basically, I wrote the list and put it away. Most of the things I can’t do at the size I am anyway. I knew that when I was writing it.

But how stupid is that? Do other people have some right to a wonderful life that I must bypass because I’m too lazy to change my circumstances?

I want that sense of wonder that I see in my son’s eyes. And I’m finally taking the steps necessary to strip away all the excuses I’ve given myself for not living this life to its full potential (got in 25 minutes on the treadmill this morning).

Life can be pretty dang good if we don’t spend all our time dreading it.

Here’s my bucket list. What’s on yours?

1. Skydive

2. Climb the sand dunes in northern Michigan

3. Walk in a cranberry bog

4. Visit California

5. Visit the White House

6. Visit Hawaii

7. Drive across the USA

8. Hang glide

9. Hike the Grand Canyon

10. Visit Europe

11. Hot-air balloon ride

12. Scuba dive

13. Go whitewater rafting again

14. Bungee jump

15. Run the Crim 10-mile race in Flint

16. Take helicopter ride

17. Do the Labor Day Mackinac Bridge Walk

18. Go to Bonnaroo

19. Go to Kentucky Derby

20. Learn to speak Spanish

21. Golf lessons

22. Wear a bikini in public

23. Drive a race car

24. Take a cake decorating class

25. See a Broadway play

26. Try caviar

27. Do a tornado chasers outing

28. Visit the Statue of Liberty

29. Ride a mechanical bull

30. Kiss in the rain

1 comment:

  1. Go, go, Misty! You can do every single one of the things on that list. I just started writing down the list that's been floating around in my head for years ... discovered Mighty Girl the other day (mightygirl.net) and was inspired to work on my own Mighty Life List.

    ReplyDelete