"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Friday, April 23, 2010

Sweet 16

Tomorrow, I’m scrapbooking as part of National Scrapbook Day.

It’s the 16th year for this holy national holiday, so we’re told to bring a picture from when we were 16.

I can’t find that many (odd, considering it was just a couple of years ago), but I did find this basketball picture, which was published in the McLean County News, my hometown newspaper.

(Try to get past the hideous shorts and poofed hair.)

I’d hoped to find a picture of me in my Lady Cobras softball uniform. The Lady Cobras was a travel team I played on that year.

We made it all the way to nationals, which were held in luxurious and fascinating Enid, Okla.

Ah, the summer I was 16.

It was the best summer of my life, another odd statement, considering I had just been diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma (small brain tumor).

But that didn’t slow me down.

I had my driver’s license. I had my best friend. I had cute boys calling.

Most of all, that summer I was the strongest I’ve ever been.

(Seriously. Stop staring at the hair.)

I was constantly working out between the travel team and my hometown team. (Go Island softball! I know some of you read this. Woot woot!).

I felt good. I felt strong. I felt invincible.

Now, I know I’ll never feel 16 again, but I’ve gotta tell you: I’m starting to feel good again.

Who says our best days have to be behind us?

Have a great weekend, and go out and create your own happiness.

Check back Monday. I’ll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment