"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, April 22, 2010

And now, I’m sculpting

I need muscles.

I know these things, but sometimes it takes a little reminder.

I was at a birthday party over the weekend, and while talking to an acquaintance, I discovered she is teaching Body Sculpt classes at Seung-Ni in Midland, a sister gym to mine in Saginaw.

I had taken a few Body Sculpt classes during our shameful Body Challenge run before the Big Dropout, but I guess I didn’t think I was ready to actually add weights to my mix of workouts this time yet.

“You’ve gotta build some muscles so they burn the fat even when you’re sitting still,” she reminded me.

I know, I know.

Muscles boost your metabolism, too. Lord knows I need a better metabolism.

So last night I added Body Sculpt classes to my mix.

According to the Seung-Ni Web site, Body Sculpt “is a non-impact, resistance training program that uses dumbbells to burn fat and sculpt the body into lean, ripped muscles. All the major muscle groups are worked in sequence in weight-bearing exercises including squats, presses, lift and curls.”

It’s kind of amazing – and embarrassing – how some teeny tiny weights can make your arms shake like mine did last night, but even the slightest weight feels heavy when you’re nearing the 100th rep.

Anyway, for those of you following along at home, the new routine is this: 2 miles on the treadmill five mornings a week, kickboxing on Mondays, Body Sculpt on Wednesdays, and Zumba on Fridays.

Hey, it’s gotta be done if I’m ever gonna find my mythical “lean, ripped muscles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment