"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Friday, April 9, 2010

Join me in the Pound for Pound Challenge

Help feed the hungry by just continuing to do what I’m already doing? Count me in.

I was a pretty easy sell for former Flint Journal co-worker Tim Curry, who is now the development coordinator at the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.

He contacted me last week to tell me about the Pound for Pound Challenge, a collaborative effort among NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” and its major sponsors to help Feeding America deliver millions of pounds of groceries to local food banks across the country.

Participation is simple. You go to the Web site (linked above) and answer like five questions, one of which is how many pounds you pledge to lose.

The maximum pledge is 50 pounds, so that’s what I pledged. The program uses an honor system, Tim says.

For each pound you pledge, 14 cents will be donated to Feeding America, who then will send the money to your local food bank. Each pound pledged equates to a pound of food for the hungry, the Web site says.

Because of the ZIP Code I entered, my pledges will go to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan, which distributes 20 million pounds of food to the hungry in 22 eastern Michigan counties, Tim said.

The help is most welcome.

“Unfortunately, the Food Bank is forced to expand because of necessity, so all monies that come in now are more important now than ever before,” he said.

Remember, though, it’s a nationwide program. You can help out in your community by simply entering your ZIP Code.

So, that’s that. Go to the Web site and pledge to lose some weight by answering a few questions.

It couldn’t be easier.

Get healthier and help the hungry. It’s a win-win.

I am cutting down my blogging to Monday through Friday, so this is my last one for the week. Check back Monday to see how weigh-in went. And, as always, I thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I love all things shinyApril 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM

    OK. I did it. I did the Pound for Pound challenge thing. What is our deadline? I pledged 30 pounds - about half of what I really need to lose, but probably better to be realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Nancy, I'm not sure there is a deadline to lose ... only a deadline to pledge, which is June 30. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete