"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Are you a warrior?

Call me crazy.

("Misty, you so crazy!")

Since we were last here, I got in my 3 miles on the treadmill, made a slushy trip to the gym this morning, and oh yeah … I signed up for the July 30 Warrior Dash.

Seriously. Click the link. I've lost my mind.

When my friend Kristy posted that she and her boyfriend were doing The Dash just two days after my friend Karen had first told me about it, I took it as a message from God.

Or maybe it was just one of the many voices in my head.

Either way, I'm all signed up. Since committing to the "Craziest Frickin' Day of My Life," I've found all sorts of folks who will be there with me.

I'm hoping that out of Kristy and Tony, Kleen, Paul and Quinn, Ilona and Tim, and Liz, SOMEBODY will help me if I get stuck in an obstacle, or at least roll my body out of the way.

The race is 3.3 miles and includes these obstacles along the way (think "Survivor" challenges):

  • The Junkyard Jump, a stampede through the scrap yard

  • The Warrior Wall, a climb up and over a wooden barrier

  • The Deadweight Drifter, what I call some of my ex-boyfriends, plus a trudge through waist-deep water and over logs

  • The Chaotic Crossover, a crawl across tangled nets

  • The Arachnophobia, a trip through tangled ropes

  • The Slithering Swamp, a venture into unknown murky waters

  • The Walk the Plank, a trip across the gully on wooden planks

  • The Cargo Climb, a maneuver over cargo nets

  • The Warrior Roast, a leap over fire (yes, really)

  • Muddy Mayhem, a scramble beneath barbed wire in the mud


And the very best part is you get a warrior helmet and beer! There's live music and what looks like a giant party afterward.

I'm doing the 10:30 a.m. wave. Why don't you join me?

11 comments:

  1. I will definitely rescue you...only if you return the favor when I'm face down in the mud... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic, and I am very intrigued!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you might be, Penny! Do it! But decide soon. When I registered yesterday, eight of the time slots were already sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely this isn't taking place somewhere in Ohio? Someone recommended a Warrior Dash to me there . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is one in Ohio, Brian. They're all over. Sign up! Even better, come do it in Michigan. You could use a road trip, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true Misty. I knew nothing about this and then I hear about it twice in less than a week. I hear Michigan is beautiful in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is, Brian! You know where I'll be July 30 ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course we will all have each other's backs Misty!!!! Personally I can't wait to belly crawl through the mud under barbed wire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound fun, Ilona ... as long as I have a lot less belly in the belly crawl by then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] you remember, I am doing the Warrior Dash in July, and then I plan to do the Crim. Yes, 10 miles. I’d like to sign up for the run so [...]

    ReplyDelete