"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book it?

Happy 100th Blog Post Day!

Today marks the 100th time I’ve written since this journey began.

Not that that in itself is a big deal. I just like marking things at 100, I guess.

If I can keep my butt moving, I will hit my goal of 100 pounds lost by Dec. 31.

Fingers crossed.

Can I ask you a serious question? Good.

Do you think this blog would make a good book?

Please trust me when I say that I am not asking this question as a fishing expedition for compliments. You all have been very forthcoming with praise about both my efforts and my writing all along, and that’s not what I am looking for here.

I want a real, honest opinion about whether you think all these blog posts would be helpful, entertaining and marketable in book form.

I keep fighting that notion for several reasons.

1) I feel like there are a few personal blog posts sprinkled in here that would relate to no one.

2) The success of the book would be largely dependent on whether I actually hit my goal of losing 100 pounds in 10 months. Not that I’m already saying I won’t make my goal, but I am saying that actually accomplishing what I set out to do is a factor.

3) Probably most importantly, I’m realistic. I know what people go through to get books published. It’s grueling. It’s lots of rejection. It’s an all-out assault on your self-esteem. I don’t know if I can handle that after I’ve put my heart and soul into this project … Project Me.

I have many friends who have had books published. Heck, I’m one of the very few from my college newspaper staff who hasn’t published a book.

There’s Jerry’s true-story tear-jerker, Ryan’s look at UK basketball, Molly’s vampire series and Chris’ sci-fi masterpieces.

These folks are amazing, and I was lucky to have worked beside them.

And I don’t think my subject matter or writing skills are at their level. I really don’t.

But the notion of turning this into a book keeps coming up, even by some very smart people whose opinions I value greatly.

What’s your very smart opinion?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Misty: You already know the answer. Yes, yes, yes. As you said, gotta reach your weight loss goal (not necessarily by the drop dead date). Heck I've been following your blog and it has helped inspire me to lose 40 pounds already.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great to hear, Jim. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete