"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Monday, August 30, 2010

Pounding the pavement

Screw the scales.

My dear friend Brooke told me that a few months ago, trying to get me to measure my success in other ways.

Well, considering I somehow managed to gain 5 pounds this week, I’m thinking it’s brilliant advice.

After all, I walked my first official 5K on Saturday as part of the Crim Festival of Races!

Not only that … I think I did really well.

My official electronic chip time was 52:13. That breaks down to this:

I was 290th out of 906 in my age division (ages 30-34 – and I’m 34!).

I was 290th out of 1,662 women.

And I was 413th out of 2,554 walkers overall!

So, I finished faster than 2,141 other people.

Hey, I’m as shocked as you are.

My little man, who will be 2 in October, also held our hands and walked the entire length of his quarter-mile Teddy Bear Trot.

There were lots of smiles this weekend.

I’ve come a long way since I started walking in March, when it took me over 21 minutes to walk only 1 excruciating mile.

Some days, you’ve just gotta say screw the scales.

Today is one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment