"I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge."

-- Paula Poundstone

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Let It Be

I just wanted to jump on here real quick before I head out to Kentucky for my father’s funeral.

I’ve been an emotional wreck all week. That’s why I’m not blogging right now.

Well, except for right now. You get the point.

For days, I had wrangled and fought and prayed and lamented over whether I should go to his funeral, mainly because I don’t want to hurt anyone in his family, even though I do need to say goodbye.

This is an odd situation for everyone.

That was never as clear as when his son called me last night.

We talked for quite a while. We laughed, we got choked up.

We want to meet.

And he said one thing at the very end of our talk that removed all doubt about whether I should go:

“I’ve thought long and hard about this, Misty. And I want you to do what you need to do. And if you come down here and one person – anybody – gives you a hard time about being here, you tell them to come talk to me.”

My stuff is packed, and I’m wearing my Beatles “Let It Be” T-shirt.

Ironic or symbolic?

Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I figured it out on my own, but each time I see all the comments on your fb status I am reminded that you are easy to be happy for and pull for. Keep it up - you have loads of followers.

    Hope you find the closure you need or whatever is meant to be from your trip. Still enjoying your blog and eager for you to hit the century mark ... go go go go

    Hello to Nate,
    N

    ReplyDelete